Sybil: The Classic True Story of a Woman Possessed by Sixteen Personalities

Sybil: The Classic True Story of a Woman Possessed by Sixteen Personalities - Flora Rheta Schreiber 21/08 - Page 279

I must say that I am completely fascinated by this book, the strength of this woman is very inspiring. Before picking up this book I had never heard of this story before, I didn't know who Sybil was and I had definitely not seen the film. Before reading the other reviews I did not know that this story had been exposed as fake, which I admit did take the wind out of my sails a bit but I decided to read the book anyway as I was still very much intrigued by the whole story. The thought of someone having 16 different personalities is extraordinary and so when I found this online when looking at my local library's website I did not hesitate in reserving it for pick up. Even though I still have a big chunk of the book left to go through I thought I would take some time to comment on how truly fascinating this book is and I hope it continues to hold my attention. After a shaky start I was somewhat disappointed, the narrative and the language didn't sit well with me but thankfully after a shift in time and an exploration of different perspectives this book did pick up for me. I am very much enjoying reading about Sybil and her other selfs and how these other selfs possibly came to be thanks to an abusive mother and a passive father. For Sybil to express the amount of hurt and disappointment she has experienced by releasing another self is brilliant yet harrowing as I found myself really hoping that she will get well and return to her 'whole self'.

30/08 - Finished

I must say that I continued to enjoy this book, as I turned every page it just kept improving. However, after finding out that this book is indeed fake I felt kind of deflated which took away a star (seeing as it's advertised as a true story) but that was my only reason to deduct a star. The writing improved immensely compared to the beginning of the book as I was definitely struggling to get into the story...it became easier when the time shift happened as well which I was grateful for.
It took me quite a while to get through this book but I thought I would mention that the amount of time taken isn't a reflection on the book, life just kept getting in the way of my reading. If you are interested in the subject matter, even if just slightly, then I would recommend reading this book as it is just fascinating. Although fiction, the trauma and situations this woman goes through will have you on the edge of your seat with your breath held. I must warn readers, however, that this is not reading for the faint of heart as the descriptions of child abuse are very graphic.
Overall, highly recommended from me.